HomeAbout UsEnlistment FormCamp Curtin Decendant BrigadeCivil War Harrisburg BookNewslettersArticles of InterestLinks Page

Two markers were placed in Camp Hill’s Willow Park, 24th & Walnut Streets, Camp Hill. One describes the Skirmish at Oyster’s Point on June 29, 1863. The skirmish marked the farthest advance north of the Confederate Army during the invasion of Pennsylvania. The other marker tells the story of the White Hall School, one of the schools established after the Civil War for soldiers’ orphans. It operated in Camp Hill until 1890. In 1926, former students, known as “Sixteeners” (because that was the age they graduated from the school), erected a small monument in Willow Park.

Oyster’s Point Skirmish and White Hall School (pictured in photos)

James Schmick, President, Camp Curtin Historical Society

Patricia Vance, State Senator

Peter Robelen, President, Borough of Camp Hill Council

Wayne Yost, President, Historical Society of Camp Hill

Kristen Rowe, Communications Manager, Cumberland Valley Visitors Bureau

Keith Foote, Cooper’s Battery

Larry Keener-Farley, Camp Curtin Historical Society

webassets/Willow1.JPG
James Schmick
webassets/Willow2.JPG
Patricia Vance
webassets/Willow3.JPG
Peter Robelen

webassets/Willow4.JPG
Wayne Yost

webassets/Willow5.JPG
Rowe, Schmick, Robelen, Yost

webassets/Willow6.JPG

webassets/Willow7.JPG
Keith Foote

webassets/Willow8.JPG
Larry Kenner-Farley and Recruit

 

webassets/OysterPoint.JPG
Oyster Point Wayside

webassets/WhiteHall.JPG
White Hall School Wayside

 

Another marker was placed at the Samuel Albright House, which still stands on 36th Street just west of the Good Shepherd School in Camp Hill. This stone house was used by the Confederates as a bivouac site and an artillery position. During the Skirmish at Oyster’s Point, cannons from this location shelled Union infantry.

Albright House  (pictured in photos)

James Schmick, President, Camp Curtin Historical Society

Cooper Wingert, Camp Curtin Historical Society

Nathan Silcox, Hampden Township Commissioner

David Getz, Hampden Township Veterans Recognition Committee

Shireen Farr, Chief Operating Officer, Cumberland Valley Visitors Bureau


webassets/Albright_Ceremony_1_Schmick.JPG
James Schmick
webassets/Albright_Ceremony_2_Wingert.JPG
Cooper Wingert
webassets/Albright_Ceremony_3_Silcox.JPG
Nathan Silcox
webassets/Albright_Ceremony_4_Getz.JPG
David Getz
 

webassets/MarkerAlbright.JPG
Albright Marker

     

Two markers were also placed in Hampden Park, 5002 Hampden Park Drive, Mechanicsburg off Sporting Hill Road describing the Fighting at Sporting Hill on June 28 and June 30, 1863. The June 28 engagement involved a brief artillery duel with the Confederates firing from Salem Church on the Carlisle Pike toward Union positions at Sporting Hill. Eventually, the Union troops withdrew to their main line in Camp Hill. The skirmish on June 30 was much larger. The Confederates had occupied the Eberly Farm and Gleim’s Grove to hold the Carlisle Pike and stop any potential Union advance. When Union troops tried to advance west on the Carlisle Pike, they encountered the Confederates, and a sharp engagement ensued with casualties on both sides. Eventually, the Confederates withdrew and joined Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia at Gettysburg.

 

 

Sporting Hill (pictured in photos)

James Schmick, President, Camp Curtin Historical Society

Nathan Silcox, Hampden Township Commissioner

David Getz, Hampden Township Veterans Recognition Committee

Dawn Rickenbach, Tourism Development Manager, Cumberland Valley Visitors Bureau


 

webassets/hampton1.JPG

webassets/hampton2.JPG

webassets/hampton3.JPG

webassets/hampton4.JPG

webassets/hampton5.JPG

webassets/hampton6.JPG

webassets/hampton7.JPG

webassets/hampton8.JPG

 

Enter supporting content here